The Mencap NI Youth Forums are made up of young people aged 16-25 years who have a learning disability and meet every two weeks with groups in Belfast and Feramangh.
The aim of the Youth Forum is to:
- Promote the voice of young people in Mencap and beyond.
- Take action to influence and improve their local community.
- Assist Mencap to develop projects and events for young people
- Promote rights of Children and Young People and right thinking about learning disability.
We currently support 10 young people in the Belfast Youth Forum and 14 in the Fermanagh Youth Forum.
There are five areas of work:
- Speaking out and Campaigning - On issues affecting young people and learning disability, helping young people voicing their opinions and sharing their experiences.
- Connecting and Participation - Connecting young people to each other and to others in the local community.
- Supporting choice and decision making - Support young people to make decisions and to be part of the decision making processes in Mencap’s youth programmes.
- Learning and developing new skills - learning from each other and about each other, developing skills to support the work that they do with the Youth Forum.
The Youth Forum is supported by Mencap Youth Workers who facilitate group sessions, create a programme plan with the group and identifies opportunities for the group to take part in.
To find out more about joining one of our Youth Forums in Belfast or Fermanagh
telephone: 028 9069 1351